Saturday, April 18, 2009

Religions and Political Affiliation



I swear, I won't be blogging about religion and politics forever. Maybe just once in awhile, but this is also very cool (click on the picture to see larger), found on Infosthetics via Andrew Gelman's blog. Truly, it's very interesting to think about the fundamental ideas within a political affiliation and the ideas within a religion. It also makes so much sense once you've read The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism by Max Weber.

It's fair to say that a constant gripe in the jellybean house is over the willful ignorance of evangelical Christians. Separately, recently in one of my classes we did a whole unit on Abstinence Only programs, and if you want a concise understanding of how jacked up that topic is, read the Waxman report on Abstinence Only "Education" Programs. Also, randomly, NOVA just ran Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial. It was quite good, see it if you can. Also, I'm a sociology major, so I think about how ideologies relate to one another and how systems work. Also, there was a creepy segment in Maxed Out, which I watched Monday, where there was a preacher telling his congregation that when people are having troubles it's almost always because they're not tithing enough.

Heh.

I guess it's just been that kind of week.

Oh, did I mention I just finished reading On The Genealogy of Morals by Friedrich Nietzsche?

He is so amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment